COVID-19 UPDATE – Due to Government guidelines our classes are unfortunately on hold for the time being. Please keep checking back for updates – we'll be running classes as soon as possible! Any questions please get in touch. Thanks, Nathalie
We have a wide range of cake decorating & baking classes in London to suit all levels, all held from our beautiful workshop space in West Hampstead NW6 and our private kitchen in Wandsworth SW18. Whether you fancy learning something new for fun, you're new to cake decorating or baking and want to learn new skills or you're a cake business owner and would like to take your skills to the next level we have something for you. Our friendly, relaxed and professional classes are held from our beautiful workshop space in West Hampstead, NW6 or our private kitchen in Wandsworth SW18. We want our students to leave feeling inspired and with a whole host of new skills. All the equipment, materials and cakes are included in all our classes, you just need to bring yourself.
If there's something you're looking for that you can't see here, please get in touch as we run private classes and are constantly adding new group classes.
To see what our students say about our classes click here.
- This class has passed.
How To Start & Run A Successful Cake Business £110
April 24 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm£110.00 – £125.00
Introducing our new and improved how to start a cake business class at the studio. Join us for an inspiring day with me Nathalie and my tutor and cake business owner Kate to talk through what you need to do to get started and how to run a profitable and successful cake business. 8 years ago I was miserable in a PR and marketing job, commuting long hours and fed up of the politics of corporate life. I was made redundant and had always dreamed of having her own cake business so decided to go for it and started Rock Bakehouse – what did I have to loose!? Kate used to be a lawyer and once she had children decided she wanted a better work life balance so did some courses and left the corporate world to set up her cake business. We have over 12 years experience in the cake business world, we are working mums, have a good work life balance and most importantly making money for ourselves. We both love working for ourselves and want to share our passion and show you that you can have the working life you dream of doing something you enjoy.
This class is for you if:
- You’ve been thinking of starting a cake business but have no idea where to start
- You’re making cakes for friends and family and even taking orders on but no idea how to move from hobby to business
- You’re struggling to price your cakes correctly and have no clue where to even begin or you’re making no money in your current business
- You’re struggling with getting your business off the ground or struggling to build it as quickly as you’d like
Over the day we will:
- Go through everything you need to know to set up and run a successful and profitable business and and you’ll receive information, tips, tricks as well worksheets, business materials (invoice templates, order forms etc), etc
- Legalities and health and safety
- Share our experience, stories and you’ll have the opportunity to ask all the questions you want
WHAT WE COVER
- Legalities and health safety
- How to find your niche, what type of business you want to run and why
- Business mindset – what you need to succeed and how to go from hobby to profitable cake business
- How to improve your online presence with your business name, website, google, SEO
- Pricing – how to price your cakes and bakes as well finances and keeping on top of your expenses
- Social Media – how to use Instagram & Facebook for your business successfully (it doesn’t matter how many followers you have, you just need followers who are your customers!)
- Marketing – how to use newsletters, advertising, pr and more to get your ideal customers buying from you
- Our recommendations on sourcing ingredients and tools
- How to promote your business especially when you don’t have a shop front and working from home
- Keeping motivated and day to day business
You will go home with:
- Cake business booklet with all the information and resources that we’ve covered on the day
- Cake business templates – invoices, cake order forms etc
- Cake portion guide and cake information sheet
Hi, I’m Nathalie and I started Rock Bakehouse after I was made redundant from my PR and Marketing job in 2011. With no redundancy package and having always dreamt of starting my own cake business I decided to just go for it. I started off doing children’s cakes before moving to wedding and corporate orders. I started running classes from my home and moved to a commercial premises in 2016. It’s been hard work and I’ve learnt a lot of lessons along the way (which I share with you so that you don’t make the same mistakes) but I’m running a business that allows me to have the flexibility to spend time with my children as well as the financial means to lead a comfortable life. I want to inspire you and show you that you can run a cake business and make money, and actually make the most of self employed life.
Kate started her cake business in 2017, having worked as a commercial lawyer for a US law firm for 13 years. My daughter was due to start school and I wanted to be able to work flexibly around school hours. She had been cultivating her cake decorating hobby since 2010 when she started to work a four day week. At this time she decided to use her Fridays off to take courses in cake decorating, starting with introductory interest courses and leading up to the PME Diploma. Friends and family then started to ask me to make cakes for their special occasions – I made our best friends’ wedding cake, and then my brothers in 2013. Two maternity leaves later, and facing the fast approaching school days, it was time to put up or shut up, and Cakes by Kate Norman was born!
“Thank you, this course has given me the confidence to push forward” AW
“I feel so much more confident to price my cakes properly” SS
This is cake business class and no cake decorating is included. The class starts at 10am. Tea, coffee and water will be supplied. All you need to bring is a packed lunch. Our small class sizes also ensure you get the opportunity to get involved and ask lots of questions.
Worksheets are supplied but please bring a notebook and pen if you want to take extra notes. Please note our classes are adult classes, further details of children attending can be viewed on our terms and conditions.
Please check your diary – refunds or transfers are not available once payment is made. For further information please view our terms and conditions.